The Valley of the Temples is an Archaeological Park of Sicily characterized by the exceptional state of conservation and by a series of important Doric temples of the Hellenic period. It corresponds to the ancient Akragas, a monumental original nucleus of the city of Agrigento. Since 2000 it has been a Regional Archaeological Park and since 1997 the whole area has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage List. It is considered a popular tourist destination, as well as being the symbol of the city and one of the main ones on the island. The archaeological and landscape park of the Valley of the Temples, with its 1300 hectares, is one of the largest archaeological sites in the Mediterranean.
Scala dei Turchi
La Scala dei Turchi is a rocky wall (cliff) that rises above the sea along the coast of Realmonte, in the province of Agrigento.It has become over time a tourist attraction both for the singularity of the cliff, white in color and with peculiar forms, both as a result of the popularity acquired by the novels starring Inspector Montalbano written by the empedoclino writer Andrea Camilleri, being the imaginary municipality of Vigata to be framed with Porto Empedocle.
The Kolymbethra garden (Greek term indicating a type of swimming pool used in Roman times for water games) is an archaeological site of great naturalistic and landscape importance, located in a small valley in the heart of the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. In 1999 the Sicilian Region entrusted it as a free concession to the Italian Environment Fund (FAI) for a period of 25 years, putting an end to the situation of abandonment in which it had fallen in the last decades of the twentieth century; as a result of this it has become one of the places of archaeological / naturalistic interest of great importance at a territorial and national level. The vegetational and structural restoration organized by the FAI allows a visit to the Temple of Hephaestus, as well as the discovery of some hypogea.
The Cathedral of San Gerlando
The metropolitan cathedral of San Gerlando is the main place of Catholic worship in Agrigento, the mother church of the homonymous metropolitan archdiocese. In December 1951, Pope Pius XII elevated it to the dignity of a minor basilica. The site is identified in the highest and westernmost part of the Girgenti hill. Construction began immediately after the reconquest of the city in 1087 and completed in 1094, the year coinciding with the construction of splendid cathedrals in Sicily. Originally consecrated to Our Lady of the Assumption, historical title of the Agrigento cathedral.
I luoghi di Pirandello
Luigi Pirandello, Nobel Prize for Literature in 1934, is perhaps the most representative character of Girgenti. A literary walk in the places of Pirandello begins from his birthplace, which is located about 5 km from the city and today is a museum.In this rural house of the late '700 Pirandello spent his childhood and adolescence, and today houses memorabilia , photographs, awards and acknowledgments. A driveway behind the house leads to the famous Pino di Pirandello: today the pine is gone, but there is a stone that houses the vase with its ashes, as requested by him.
Agrigento and surroundings
The Agrigento area has numerous places of significant naturalistic, artistic and cultural interest. We will offer you the best advice among the many possible itineraries between sea, nature, art, curiosity and traditions to enrich your holiday with emotions.